Dremio allow users to connect to Dremio Server from Tableau either through JDBC or ODBC. In this article we focus on Tableau connects to Dremio through ODBC.
- Assume you have Tableau install in your computer and have a valid license to access Tableau.
- Assume in your computer already installed the ODBC Manager
Download the Arrow Flight SQL ODBC Driver from https://www.dremio.com/drivers/odbc/ then install the ODBC driver into the ODBC Manager in your computer.
Install and configure ODBC driver:
After downloaded the ODBC driver from Dremio’s website then installed into your computer. In this example, I installed ODBC driver into the Mac OS computer.
Launch the ODBC Manager in your computer then click on the Drivers tab then you will see the Arrow Flight SQL ODBC Driver.
- Click on the System DSN tab
- Click on the Add… button on the right
- In the Choose a driver windows, click on the Arrow Flight SQL ODBC Driver
- Click on the OK button
Click Add button to enter information under Keyword and Value then click OK button:
After entered Dremio's server information then clicked OK button, the DSN will be created as below:
Startup Dremio server
- Login to Dremio UI
- Run the sample query to make sure Dremio server is up and running
- Click on More…
- Click on Other Database (ODBC)
In the Other Database (ODBC) popup windows:
- Click on the DSN check box
- Click on the dropdown
- the Arrow Flight SQL ODBC DSN
The Dremio server information that entered in the ODBC Manager will display then click Sign In button:
Retrieve data from Dremio Samples."samples.dremio.com"."zips.json"
Query the same data source (zips.json) to see it is the same schema that shows in Tableau:
Both shows the same schema. Therefore, Tableau connects and retrieve data from Dremio Server success.